Getting started with the Android Open Pwn Project
- 1 Getting Started
- 2 Platform Context
- 3 Setup Wizard
- 4 Environment Setup
- 5 Installing Optional Services
- 6 Recommended Apps
- 7 Navigation and Usage
- 8 Staying up to date
- 9 Factory Reset
Booting your AOPP device for the first time and looking for some guidance?
Here is everything you want to do before using your device.
- Complete the Setup Wizard
- Take any available OTA updates
- Install any optional services (Google play)
- Install any desired apps - See: Recommended Apps
- Complete Pwnix Environment Setup
- Take any available Pwnix Environment Updates
AOPP - Android open pwn project; the Andriod ROM/Operating System that the device is running
Pwnix Environment - our custom version of Kali that lives inside a chroot on the android host
Receiver Host - Kali host machine
SuperSU - App allowing for fine grained root permission control
Things to be aware of
Google Play Services are optional and are not pre-installed. For the best results, install google play services ASAP.
The Pwnix environment is not pre-installed. Px Apps are built in will be enabled once a valid Pwnix environment is detected by AOPP.
After turning the device on for the first time it will boot you into the Setup Wizard. This will walk you through the steps required to get your AOPP device up and running.
- Pick your language
- Join your wireless network
- Configure CM Options
- Configure Location Services
- Set Date & Time
At this time you may also receive a notification for an available AOPP OTA. This should be completed before the Pwnix chroot environment setup. You can find information regarding AOPP OTA Updates here: Section:Updates.
Now what? Once you have gone through the process detailed above you will have a fully functioning Android device. However, notice there are no PX apps enabled on device at this time - this is because the Pwnix (Kali) chroot environment has not yet been installed.
AOPP will detect that your device does not have a Pwnix chroot environment and a notification will be spawned for you to start the installation process. You can do this at any time, but should be completed after taking any available OTA updates and optional services. Once completed you will have a fully functioning Pwn Pad / Pwn Phone.
- Hit start on environment setup notification
- Complete download, hit continue
- Grant SuperSU Permisions -- You only have 10 seconds to do this once hitting continue!!
- Wait for setup process to complete
- Reboot to finish
Missed the SuperSU prompt? Reboot and try again.
Don't see the environment setup notification? See: Troubleshooting.
Hit Continue on the download complete notification but down see the environment setup running? You missed the SUperSU prompts. Simply, reboot your device and retry.
After the download completes it will need to verify the download. After the download completes it may take a short while for the bundle to be verified in the background. Once it is verified, the start environment setup notification will be spawned.
Directly after installing the environment you will be prompted to install any available Pwnix updates. For information regarding the Pwnix update process see this section.
Installing Optional Services
Google Play Services
- Pull down notification shade from top of screen fully and tap the gear icon to go to Settings
- From Settings tap Services
- Tap Add a service
- Tap Google Play Services
- Tap OK
- Wait for download to finish
- Tap now to reboot and finish installation
For information regarding the one touch apps on the AOPP Homescreen (after the environment has been installed) see these pages:
- Almost all interaction with the Pwnix environment (on device) will be done through Terminal Emulator. To get started using the app see: Terminal Emulator
- Network Tools
- Wireless Tools
- Attack Tools
- Bluetooth Tools
- Admin Tools
Swipe down from the top center of the screen twice to fully reveal the notification shade OR swipe from top right of screen to pull it down with one gesture.
From here you have:
- Battery %
- Shortcut to settings
- User options
- Screen Brightness slider
- Wireless options
- Bluetooth options
- Data (SIM) options
- Airplane mode toggle
- Screen rotation toggle
- Location services option
- Audio options
- Hotspot options
- LiveDisplay options (auto white balance adjustment similar to Flux)
Android allows for multiple apps to be running at once. To manage these apps there is a built in task manager. This can be opened by tapping the square soft key at the bottom of the device screen.
With the task manager open you are able to:
- Swipe (scroll) up / down to view all open apps
- Tap on a window to open it
- Tap on a window's X or swipe window left or right to close it
Example: Browser app open, press square to open task manager and close the settings app
Staying up to date
AOPP Updater is configured by default to automatically check for new AOPP updates; AOPP will automatically spawn a new notification when one is found. AOPP Updater supports a number of different sync scheduling options. Default is daily.
From this notification you can download and install the update.
AOPP OTA Update Notification
- Tap Download from notification
- Wait for download to complete
- Tap reboot to apply OTA
You can also check for updates manually, as well as configure the check frequency from Settings > About > Aopp updates:
- Starting from Settings tap About
- Tap Aopp updates
- Tap the OTA update to download
- Tap update install the OTA
Pwnix environment updates have changed from previous versions of the Pwn Pad / Pwn Phone. AOPP is fully aware of the state of the Pwnix environment in place on device - including the version. Because of this it is able to check for and manage Pwnix updates automatically. When an update is made available you will receive a notification alerting you of the new Pwnix Environment update.
From this notification you can download and install the update.
Pwnix Update Notification
- Starting from the Pwnix Update Notification tap start
- After Terminal Emulator launches wait for the script to return
Manually Check for Pwnix Update
AOPP will automatically check for Pwnix updates daily (and on network connectivity change).
If for some reason you are having issues with Pwnix updates you can force the sync manually: See Section:Troubleshooting.
Third party Apps
After installing Google Play Services Google Play will automatically download SuperSU updates for you when they become available.
After it is downloaded, the SuperSU app will spawn a notification prompting for you to install the update.
From SuperSU Update Notification
- Tap the SuperSU update notification ((#) icon)
- Tap Continue
- Tap NORMAL
Manually Updating SuperSU
In the event that you would like to return your AOPP device back to its out of box state you can do so with the Factory Reset functionality built into AOPP.
- Starting from Settings tap Backup and Reset
- Tap Factory data reset
- Tap Reset Tablet to start factory reset
Pwnix Chroot Environment
Pwnix factory reset coming soon.